Meet Me in St. Louis was the first time that I was able to recognize Judy Garland outside of her role in The Wizard of Oz. My mom introduced me to this movie when I was younger because I love musical, and she is from St. Louis. So, it was a match made in heaven.
So when I started making this list at 18, it was high up there to see all of the places mentioned.
That proved to be harder that I thought. Beside the fact that the movie was filmed on a backlot of MGM, the places that are mentioned are general places, or no longer exists.
These are the places that I have been to since like 2013.
So, my mom swears that this spot near the train at the St. Louis Zoo looks likes the end of the movie were Judy Garland says "right here in St. Louis" and I don't see it. However, I'm going to count it.
In the film, the address of where they live is sung. However, the original house was torn down some time ago, and we didn't really know that when we went to try and see it. I took this very bad picture of the road sign, and a pic of another cute house on the road for reference of what it might have looked like.
While the bird cage at the zoo is not actually mention in the the movie, it is an original structure that they build for the 1904 worlds fair. So, here you go!
So, other than the house, and some of the stuff at the zoo, the only two places that are really a thing or the trolley, which not longer exists, and Forest Park. While Forest Park is not mention directly in the film, the whole of Forest Park was part of the 1904 world's fair and was "shown" in the film. So, while I would have love to take a real trolley ride, I can't, and I figured the event I went to at Forest Park would be the perfect place and conclude my quest.
The Muny was built in 1917, in Forest Park. It's been host to many shows over the years, and this year they had the play Meet Me in St. Louis.
The play is actually based off of the 1944 Film that Star Judy Garland, and where the song "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas" originated from. The stage play came about 40 years after the movie in 1984. Which, if you have seen both, make some of the changes and songs make sense as to why that were added, and stuff like that.
It was so hot, but it was so much fun! I got to go see the show with my Aunt, Uncle, cousin, two nieces, mom, sister-in-law, and a friend of my older niece. We had great seats, and I loved the show!
So, while it's not a 100% accurate seeing of the landmarks, I did the best I could with what I had.
However, being at The Muny gave me one more item crossed off the list...
No comments:
Post a Comment